Saturday, September 15, 2012

How old are you? How old do you feel?


My husband, Robert, and I recently moved to the Los Angeles area.  A couple of weeks ago, I went to the library to get a new library card.  I don’t remember the last time I went to a public library, so I didn’t really know what I was doing. When I spoke to the librarian, I asked, “How do I sign up for a library card?”.  She gave me a puzzled look, then kindly responded, “I’m sorry, but you can’t sign up for a library card.”

“Oh….Why not?” I responded.

She laughed and said, “You have to be at least 18 years old to get your own library card, otherwise you’ll need an adult to be with you.”

Really?..... Seriously?.... I pulled out my ID, and we took it from there.

I know that I look young, but under 18?! 

One of my goals this season is to run a 5k race before Thanksgiving.  And then Thanksgiving Day, to run the local Turkey Trot.  I know plenty of people who don’t even need to train for a 5K, and run a race with no problem!  I’m not that person.  If I don’t prepare thoroughly for a race,  I get shin splints, lower back pain, asthma, stomach cramps, leg cramps….and also very discouraged.  I’m aware that I sound like an old, cranky lady. But in all honesty, I feel older than I am.  At my age, my energy level should NOT be where it is on a daily basis.  People constantly tell me that I look very young, and that I will appreciate that in the future.  But honestly, I want to feel young.  I don’t care if I look it, I want to feel it. My health coach and mentor, Elyse, is confident that if I continue on my journey, that I will soon start to feel the way I look, young.   Healthy, active lifestyle + nutrition plan = brand new me J

It’s just going to take a little lipstick ;-)

My friend, Perla Sanchez, turned me onto a training plan that I have used in the past.  I use it on my iPhone, but they also have a website where you can print out the program.  It’s called “Couch 2 5k”.  It is designed to bring you from sedentary to running for 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks.  The idea is that if you build up slowly and have an idiot proof plan, you are more likely to finish the program.   I put the head phones in my ear, start Pandora (right now I’m stuck on a Taylor Swift station – and I’ll probably never change it) and then start the C25K app.  I don’t have to check my watch constantly, because it tells you when to walk and when to run.  I love it J the less thought process, the better.  

If you’re interested in running/walking a 5K race, find a way to get started!  Find a training plan (google this, there are ga-zillions), get a partner and just START.  Don’t be hard on yourself for walking, or if you need to slow down your training.  In the end, it’s about the 30 minutes of exercise that you’re getting!   

 

And remind yourself: you have to start somewhere. 

http://www.c25k.com/

You don’t have to be a runner or train for a race in order to get into shape.  The goal is to look for something that will challenge you, in order to change you.  Without the hard work, there will be no change.

So set your goals.  Set them TODAY.  Write them down.  Share them. And after you write down your goals, make a plan of how you will achieve them. 

Challenge yourself. Accomplish your goals. And when you mess up, laugh.  Then keep going.  Don’t wait for tomorrow. Just START.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am running the Turkey Trot here in OKC on Thanksgiving day too! I'll be thinking of you when I'm huffing and puffing :)

    ReplyDelete