Saturday, September 22, 2012

Gettin' Jiggy with it....nah nah nah nah

What goals have you set, and achieved?  What did accomplishing your goals mean to you?  I love hearing peoples stories.  When you know the background of what inspired people to begin, it completely changes your views on their accomplishment. 
On March 25th, 2012, my friend Perla complete her first half marathon in Dallas! This is Perla's story about her half marathon, and what it meant to her to complete it.
 
 
What made you want to run a half marathon?
The first, second or third time I tried it? Kidding. Ish. I lost my mom at somewhat of a young age, and shortly after my 24th birthday, I decided I needed a "bucket list." I thought of how young my mom was when she got sick (36) and the fact that she had no regrets made me want to live a full life like she did. She was never a runner, NEVER, but she embraced every day and made the most of it.
I wanted to do some crazy things and that was one of them!


How did you choose a training plan?
I read Hal Higdon's book, Marathon, and felt so inspired that I decided to follow his training plan. Someone helped me tweak the plan and personalize it to meet my needs. For instance, Hal Higdon's training plans have your 'long runs' on Sunday morning, but I knew that I would be going out on Saturday nights and wouldn't be up for Sunday mornings. I knew my long runs needed to be on Saturday mornings instead. So I took the plan, and adjusted it to my needs.
 
Was it your first race?
It was my first half marathon! I started running 5Ks three years ago, and I had run my first 10K about 9 months before that.  But before three years ago, I had never run before at all.  I did dance in middle school and and high school.  In college, my background was in eating and walking to class.  I didn't run if I was late, I just skipped class! So it was something I never even imagined I could do, which made the accomplishment that much more exhilarating!

Was there a time during your training that you became frustrated? What kept you going?
Of course! The half marathon was so important to me because it was the 3rd time I'd trained for one! I don't run at a fast pace and that gets frustrating. Also, I have asthma, and sometimes asthma attacks would keep me from finishing a run. And the biggest one of all - I am unfortunately an excuse queen.
"I don't have time"
"I'm sore"
"I don't need to run today."
Blah blah blah!
 
You name it! The first two times I'd started training, I was doing it because it was more important to someone else in my life than it was for me.  So the first two times I started my training - I ended up quiting and having to start from the beginning.
In January 2012, I set a PR (personal record) for myself in a 5k I ran two months before the Rock 'n Roll half marathon, and I was so pumped about my improvement that the first thing I did after crossing the finish line was log in to the Rock 'N Roll website and signed up to run my first half marathon! In the end, when I finally decided I wanted to have that accomplishment for myself, I did it. I realized that even if I did run slower, and even if I wasn't always running a long distance, I was still lapping everyone sitting on their couches. That made me feel like a badass. Feeling like a badass tends to help. :)
 
What did finishing the race mean to you?
It was so incredible! I have been skydiving twice, and I still believe finishing my half marathon was more exhilarating than skydiving because I worked my tail off to build up to it, and I did it!  I had dirt, salt and tears all over my face, I was afraid I was going to pee my pants before I got to the finish line, and the last .10 of a mile was the hardest part of a race I've ever run, but MAN! I get goosebumps writing about it now! I think I spent an entire week telling everyone I saw, "Hey, how was your weekend? Cool. I ran a half marathon." followed by a silent "BOOYAH!" in my head.
The craziest thing? Three years ago, I started Couch to 5k, and I remember staying in week 4 for about a month because I just couldn't run more than two minutes consecutively.
Now? I've run 13.1 miles, and I'm working towards half number two!

“That’s why it is important to enjoy the journey not just the destination. In this world, we will never arrive at a place where everything is perfect and we have no more challenges. As admirable as setting goals and reaching them maybe, you can’t get so focused on accomplishing your goals that you make the mistake of not enjoying where you are right now.”
Joel Osteen, Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
 

No comments:

Post a Comment