Monday, October 1, 2012

Jock Jams



This weekend I had the opportunity to learn a different kind of workout from some friends.  I don't know a lot about Crossfit (if anyone has more information on it, please let me know!!) but we got to do one of their workouts with some friends!
Strength is my weakness.  Yes, I just said that. I might be able to take a yoga class, go for a little jog, do the occasional sit-up.  But CHIN UPS???  PULL UPS???  PUSH-UPS???  Nope. Not on my list of talents.  Come to think of it, there's really not a whole lot on my 'list of talents'.  I'll have to work on that too.
Carolyn and B are good friends of ours. Their daughter, Abigail, just celebrated her first birthday this weekend!  When Crossfit wouldn't let them bring Abigail to the gym anymore, they decided to set up a gym in their garage and follow the workouts from home! They do their work outs in the afternoons together, while Abigail watches :-)
Just looking at this gym made me nervous.  I mean, what are you supposed to do with those bars?  Who lifts those big weights?  And what are they even called?!
B starts every workout with a good warm-up.  Abigail loves to watch her daddy work out.  She laughs the whole time!

 Carolyn and Abigail have started "Mommy Gymnastics" together.  I have never even heard of this.  Carolyn says that they have so much fun!  She wants her kids to grow up learning that exercise is part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth.  Abigail is abnormally strong for her age! Love it!
Cross fit has a different work out everyday (WOD).  Since we were beginners, they picked an easier one for us. The work out was:
 21 pull ups
21 elbows to knee
30 sit-ups
30 push-ups
Oh, and then repeat it 4x....as fast as you can!
 
I knew I would need a little modification, since I didn't think I could even do a pull-up.  I ended up struggling through 7 pull-ups, 7 knee to elbows, 15 sit-ups, 10 push-ups, repeat x3.  I was dying!!  It was definitely a challenging work out for me and way out of my league.  But Carolyn walked me through it - - and sometimes my chin didn't exactly make it over the bar.  But I figured, you have to start somewhere!
 Can you believe this????
 
Carolyn during her Cross Fit work out!  Check out that strength!
 
The work outs for Cross Fit are a competition, who can finish first?!
 
Happy 1st Birthday Abigail!
 
I really enjoyed Cross Fit.  It was very different for me to do that kind of workout.  I've seen so many people have incredible results from Cross Fit. Congrats to the Hampton family for getting into amazing shape and setting an incredible example for your daughter, and the generation to come.  Y'all are such an inspiration!
 
 
Questions? Comments? Interested in achieving your health goals?


No comments:

Post a Comment